Standing on the shoulders of giants



I recently came upon this photograph from the London School of Theology's graduation service 2013 - which, I believe, was something of a big deal!...



Courtesy of Luke Aylen - LST student and photography extraordinaire
www.lukeaylen.co.uk 




It's a picture that struck me on a number of levels.

My first thought if I'm honest was 'this could have been a still from a Harry Potter film', professors in their robes, bestowing some sort of spell against dark magic, providing protection and strength for the young wizards in their care. To an outside eye, this may very well be what they think is going on here.

But I must tell you, it's not.

I have met each of these robed people and they are not wizards or magicians - these are giants.

These people are some of the most wise, knowledgable, intelligent human beings I'm ever likely to meet. They are dedicated to their chosen subjects to the extent that they can't help but pass it on to others.

One thing that always strikes me about the staff and faculty at LST however, is their humility.

Humility is a Godly trait that you can't acquire through seeking to gain it.

It is not something learned, it's something that grows.

Humility hasn't always been my strong suit, but I have learnt a lot about it through these men and women pictured here (and others who didn't make the photo!). It comes through a dynamic realisation of who you are and who God is.

These people spend their lives researching, writing and teaching theology and related subjects, but they do so because of and out of a place of relationship. A relationship with the living God who has created them and sustains them everyday - who gives them every breath.

If you ever meet an overly arrogant church leader or lecturer in theology, chances are that either they don't have this relationship, or that they've let it slide, (or that they were once incredibly arrogant and what your seeing is a vast improvement!). You just can't spend time with the God of the Bible and not be changed!

This picture, for me, sums up my experience at LST, these humble giants giving of themselves, serving and blessing the generations who have passed through the college. I regret not taking the time to get to know some of them better.

So if you're at, or heading to Northwood to study theology in the near future, please don't pass through with blinkers on. Take the time not just to get stuck into the subject matter, but to get to know those who teach it - if you do, you will be inspired and ultimately find yourself standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comments